What do I do if I don’t think I can finish my weekly work or a major project on time? Take advantage of the course grace periods. You do not have to tell me anything, and you will suffer no penalty. The grace period is your no-questions-asked safety net.
How does the grace period work?
- The due date is when your work is due. All work will be due by 11:59 PM on Mondays.
- The grace period occurs between the due date and the deadline. Work submitted during the grace period will be marked as late in Canvas; however, there is no grade penalty for work submitted during the grace period.
- You have a 48-hour grace period for weekly work.
- You have a one-week grace period for major projects.
- The deadline is the final moment you can submit yourwork. In Canvas, the activity will close at the deadline. If you do not submit your work by the deadline, you earn a zero.
How about an example for a major project? Here are the dates for your first major project:
- The due date is January 25 at 11:59 PM.
- The grace period is one-week.
- The deadline is February 1 at 11:59 PM. If you do not submit your project by the deadline, you earn a zero.
When can I use the grace period? Use the grace period any time you need to, but only for weekly work and major projects. Here are some example situations where the grace period might help:
- You are sick.
- You haven’t finished your work.
- There was a power outage, so you couldn’t do your work.
- The due date is a religious holiday for you.
- You have 4 exams on the same day a project is due.
Are there times I cannot use the grace period? Yes. You cannot use the grace period for peer review drafts, peer review feedback to your classmates, or the final exam (Project 4). There is no make-up and no grace period any of these items. If you miss submitting your them, you earn a zero.
Are there drawbacks to using the grace period? Yes, there can be. We will begin working on the next project as soon as the due date passes. During the grace period, you can find yourself working on two projects at once. Use the grace period if you need to, but if you procrastinate too much, you may find yourself behind all term. Be wise!
What if I have a religious holiday on the same day that a project is due? Please take advantage of the grace period explained in the Late Policy section above if the due date for any work in this class coincides with a religious holiday that you celebrate. Please let me know before the holiday if the grace period will not be adequate.