This is the post for the week of March 15, 2016.
Readings for the week of March 15
I’ve gathered some resources that will help you with whatever you proposed. Read the information that pertains to whatever you plan to do for Project 3:
Tips for Job-App Materials slide presentation (applies to nearly everyone)
Common resume mistakes (applies to nearly everyone, not just resumes)
- For LinkedIn:
- 5 Essential Tips for a KILLER LinkedIn Summary
- Your LinkedIn Profile Summary: How to Distinguish Yourself from Your Company
- How To Improve Your LinkedIn Background Summary
- The One Thing You’re Doing Wrong on LinkedIn
- LinkedIn Cheat Sheet: 5 Tips For A Professional Profile
- LinkedIn: What To Include In Your Work History
- For a resume:
- Resume Objectives (from VT Career Services)
- Resumes and vitae guide (from VT Career Services)
- Resumes 101: Swap a Stale Objective for a Fresh Branding Statement
- Resume Tips (from VT HR)
- Avoid the Top 10 Resume Mistakes
- If you are writing both a resume and a LinkedIn profile:
Work for the week of March 15
Since we’re just back from break and many of you are still scrambling to finish your proposals, I’m keeping the work light. It’s all downhill from here!
Continue working on Project 3. Assume your proposal will be accepted.
Watch for a reply to your proposal within about a week of your submission. Be sure to check the comments. If you need to make any adjustments to your plans, I will tell you about it there.
Be ready to post a draft version of Project 3 for peer review by 11:59 PM on Tuesday, 03/22. Peer review feedback is due by 11:59 PM on Thursday, 03/24.
The final version of your project is due by 11:59 PM on Monday, 03/28. The grace period ends at 11:59 PM on Monday, 04/04.